Australia and New Zealand Sarcoma Association Limited (ANZSA) is committed to protecting your privacy and complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
This policy explains how and why we collect, use, hold and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the APPs.
"We", "us" and "our" means Australia and New Zealand Sarcoma Association Limited ABN 73 132 759 525 of Level 1, 305 Grattan Street Melbourne VIC.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who can be reasonably identified from the information or opinion. Information or an opinion may be personal information regardless of whether it is true.
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We collect information about you and your interactions with us, for example, when you:
- interact with us online, including when you visit our website: we may collect information about how you access, use and interact with the website (Please see ‘What information do we collect on our website?’ below);
- contact us or sign up to our newsletter as a consumer of ANZSA: we may collect your identity and contact details, such as your name and email address and contact phone number;
- apply for membership of ANZSA as a healthcare or research professional: we may collect your identity and contact details, such as your name and email address and contact number, as well as your hospital or organisation affiliation, your location, your role, professional qualifications, and practice regions;
- make a donation: if you call us to make a donation over the phone or complete a donation envelope, in addition to your name and email address (or other contact details that may be required) your credit card details will be used to make a secure credit card donation (we use PayPal to make the donation and do not store your credit card details elsewhere). We may also collect your name and email address when you make a donation to us through third parties such as everydayhero or PayPal. Please see ‘How do we collect your personal information?’ below;
- deal with us directly over the phone or have contact with us in person; and
- apply for a position with us (either as an employee, volunteer, a contractor or where you are named as the recipient of a research grant).
How do we use your personal information?
We collect, hold and use your personal information so that we can:
- manage our relationship with you;
- provide you with tax receipts for donations you have made;
- provide you with the information or resources you have requested, including updates on our research through our newsletter and information of programs, campaigns, and other initiatives;
- contact you, for example, to respond to your queries or complaints, or if we need to tell you something important;
- comply with our legal obligations and assist government and law enforcement agencies or regulators; or
- identify and tell you about things that we think may be of interest to you.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our services, communicate with you, provide you with a membership of ANZSA or respond to your inquiries.
If you would rather not receive communication from us, please contact us at the details set out below. Alternatively, where you receive electronic communications from us, you may opt-out of receiving further communications by following the opt-out instructions provided in the communication.
How do we collect your personal information?
We will collect your personal information directly from you whenever you interact with us.
We may collect information from third parties when you make a donation to us, such as:
- everydayhero; and
We will only receive your name and contact details from such third parties in order to provide you with tax receipts for donations you have made.
How do we store and hold personal information?
We store most information about you in computer systems and databases operated by either us or our external service providers. Some information about you is recorded in paper files that we store securely.
We take reasonable steps to ensure the security of all information we collect. We implement and maintain processes and security measures to protect personal information which we hold from misuse, interference or loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
These processes and systems include:
- the use of identity and access management technologies to control access to systems on which information is processed and stored;
- requiring all employees to comply with internal information security policies and keep information secure;
- requiring all employees to complete training about information security; and
- monitoring and regularly reviewing our practice against our own policies and against industry best practice.
We will also take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information once we no longer require it for the purposes for which it was collected or for any secondary purpose permitted under the APPs.
Who do we disclose your personal information to, and why?
We may disclose personal information to external service providers so that they may perform services for us or on our behalf.
We may also disclose your personal information to others where:
- we are required or authorised by law to do so;
- you may have expressly consented to the disclosure or the consent may be reasonably inferred from the circumstances; or
- we are otherwise permitted to disclose the information under the Privacy Act.
We do not disclose your personal information to recipients who are located outside Australia.
What information do we collect when you visit our website?
When you visit our website, we may collect information about how you access, use and interact with the website. This information may include:
- the location from which you have come to the site and the pages you have visited; and
- technical data, which may include IP address, the types of devices you are using to access the website, device attributes, browser type, language, and operating system.
ANZSA’s website may contain links to other sites of interest. ANZSA does not control and is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of those websites.
Access to and correction of your personal information
ANZSA takes reasonable steps to ensure that personal details are accurate, complete and up-to-date when we use or collect such details.
You may access or request correction of the personal information that we hold about you by contacting us. Our contact details are set out below. There are some circumstances in which we are not required to give you access to your personal information.
There is no charge for requesting access to your personal information but we may require you to meet our reasonable costs in providing you with access (such as photocopying costs or costs for time spent on collating large amounts of material).
We will respond to your requests to access or correct personal information in a reasonable time and will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you remains accurate, up to date and complete.
If you have a complaint about the way in which we have handled any privacy issue, including your request for access or correction of your personal information, you should contact us. Our contact details are set out below.
We will consider your complaint and determine whether it requires further investigation. We will notify you of the outcome of this investigation and any subsequent internal investigation.
If you remain unsatisfied with the way in which we have handled a privacy issue, you may approach an independent advisor or contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au) for guidance on alternative courses of action which may be available.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to this policy
From time to time, we may change our policy on how we handle personal information or the types of personal information which we hold. Any changes to our policy will be published on our website.
You may obtain a copy of our current policy from our website or by contacting us at the contact details above.